Tencel is an amazing eco friendly fabric that represents a milestone in the development of environmentally sustainable textiles. Made from wood cellulose, or pulp harvested from Eucalyptus trees Tencel is arguably one of the most eco-friendly fibres on the market.
So what makes buying clothes made with Tencel an Environmentally friendly purchase.
Lets look at the facts:
- The solvents used in the production process are non-toxic, and are recycled again and again due to a technique called ‘closed loop’ spinning. This eliminates the dumping of waste by 98%.
- The eucalyptus trees that are harvested for the fibre are grown on sustainable farms. In addition, eucalyptus trees are fast growing, and require no toxic pesticides and little water to thrive.
- The fibre itself is completely biodegradable, making it far safer to dispose of than most other common fabrics.
- While the textile does use traditional dyes, its impressive absorbency allows companies to use less dye to achieve the desired effect. Meaning less waste and more cost efficient.
- Last, but not least, there is no need to bleach this fibre before dying due to its pure white colour at production.
So with more and more studies showing the impact that manufacturing is having on our world, it is great to see an exciting option become available.
At Yogichi we have chosen our fabrics for a multitude of reasons, but one of our primary reasons is the sustainability of that fabric. Products such as Tencel, are an inspiring step into the future of a more environmentally conscious industry.
This is why we are so thrilled to offer Tencel products to our customers.
You can also find us listed at www.fashionlistings.org